starts a WSTP-compatible external program and installs Wolfram Language definitions to call functions in it.
Details and Options
- The Wolfram Language definitions set up by Install are typically specified in the WSTP template file used to create the source code for the external program.
- Install["prog"] will launch the specified program, then connect to it via WSTP.
- If prog is a directory, Install["prog"] will try to execute prog/$SystemID/prog.
- Install[File["name"]] is equivalent to Install["name"].
- Install["name`"] searches all directories on $Path for a file or directory called name.exe.
- Install[link] will take an existing LinkObject and set up what is needed to call functions in the program corresponding to that LinkObject.
- Install returns a LinkObject representing the WSTP connection it is using.
- LinkPatterns[link] gives a list of the patterns defined when the specified link was set up.
- You can remove these definitions and terminate the execution of the external program by calling Uninstall[link].
- Install[LinkConnect["port"]] will install an external program that has created a link on the specified port. You can use this to call external programs that have been started in a debugger or on a remote computer system.
- If you call Install["command"] multiple times with the same command, the later calls will overwrite definitions set up by earlier ones, unless the definitions depend on the values of global variables that have changed.
- Install sets up definitions that send CallPacket objects to the external program whenever functions in it are called, and waits for results to be returned in ReturnPacket objects.
- The external program can send EvaluatePacket objects back to the Wolfram Language to request evaluations while the program is running.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (1)
Install an external WSTP-compatible program:
Get the complete set of LinkPatterns installed:
Get usage information about linked-in symbols:
Uninstall the external program:
Wolfram Research (1991), Install, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Install.html (updated 2016).
Wolfram Language. 1991. "Install." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2016. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Install.html.
Wolfram Language. (1991). Install. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Install.html