opens a new file in the default area for temporary files on your computer system.
Details and Options
- OpenWrite deletes any existing contents in a file, and prepares to write output starting at the beginning of the file.
- The following options can be given:
BinaryFormat False whether to use binary format for the file CharacterEncoding Automatic what raw character encoding to use FormatType InputForm default format for printing expressions NumberMarks $NumberMarks when to use ` marks in approximate numbers PageWidth 78 number of character widths per line TotalWidth Infinity maximum number of character widths for a single expression Method Automatic stream method to use
- On computer systems that support pipes, OpenWrite["!command"] runs the external program specified by command, and opens a pipe to send input to it.
- If OpenWrite does not succeed in opening a particular file or pipe, it generates a message and returns $Failed.
- OpenWrite resolves file names according to the procedure described in "Files and Streams".
- OpenWrite returns OutputStream["name",n], where name is the full name of a file or command, and n is a serial number that is unique across all streams opened in the current Wolfram System session.
- SetOptions can be used to change the properties of an output stream after it is already open.
- Functions like Put and Write automatically open the files or pipes they need, if they are not already open.
- With the default setting BinaryFormat->False, the setting for CharacterEncoding is taken to be "ASCII".
- OpenWrite always creates a new file that does not already exist, in the directory given by $TemporaryDirectory.
- With the Method option, the stream is opened using the given input stream method. This overrides the default way that OpenWrite resolves file names.
- OpenWrite[File["file"]] is also supported.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (1)
Write an expression to the file specified by the File object:
Wolfram Research (1988), OpenWrite, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/OpenWrite.html (updated 2016).
Wolfram Language. 1988. "OpenWrite." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2016. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/OpenWrite.html.
Wolfram Language. (1988). OpenWrite. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/OpenWrite.html