prints with the elements of list arranged in a regular array.
Details and Options
- In StandardForm the array is shown enclosed in parentheses.
- MatrixForm prints a single‐level list in a column. It prints a two‐level list in standard matrix form. More deeply nested lists are by default printed with successive dimensions alternating between rows and columns.
- Elements in each column are by default centered.
- MatrixForm prints SparseArray objects like the corresponding ordinary lists. »
- MatrixForm takes the same set of options as TableForm.
- The typeset form of MatrixForm[expr] is interpreted the same as expr when used in input. »
- When an input evaluates to MatrixForm[expr], MatrixForm does not appear in the output. »
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (3)
Show the matrix form of a SparseArray:
Generalizations & Extensions (2)
Properties & Relations (7)
MatrixForm formats arrays using standard matrix formatting:
TableForm formats arrays in a tabular form:
Grid formats two-dimensional arrays as a grid:
Use MatrixPlot to visualize the structure of large matrices:
Use ArrayPlot to visualize the structure of large discrete matrices:
The typeset form of MatrixForm[expr] is interpreted the same as expr when used in input:
Possible Issues (1)
Even when an output omits MatrixForm from the top level, it is not stripped from subexpressions:
The output does not have MatrixForm in it:
However, the variable e does have MatrixForm in it, which may affect subsequent evaluations:
The determinant is not evaluated due to the intervening MatrixForm:
Assign variables first and then apply MatrixForm to the result to maintain computability:
Wolfram Research (1988), MatrixForm, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/MatrixForm.html (updated 2003).
Wolfram Language. 1988. "MatrixForm." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2003. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/MatrixForm.html.
Wolfram Language. (1988). MatrixForm. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/MatrixForm.html