is an option that specifies what background color to use.
- The setting for Background can be any color or opacity specification.
- Background is an option to such functions as Graphics, Plot, Text, Pane, Button, and Cell.
- When an object has option Background->color, the specified color will normally be used as a background throughout the region defined by the object.
- Style[expr,Background->color] specifies that color should be used as the background only for the region defined by the bounding box of expr.
- In constructs such as Grid, Item can be used to specify that a background should fill the complete region for a particular item.
- In a cell, the background is used only for the region inside any cell frame.
- Background->None specifies that no background should be used, so that in effect the background is transparent.
- Background->Automatic specifies a background that follows the system appearance for the particular object or window used. For Inset, Background->Automatic specifies that the background should be taken from the graphic in which it appears.
- For objects such as Grid, Column, and Row, the setting for Background can be a list that specifies backgrounds for individual columns, rows, or elements.
- In Dataset, the setting for Background can be a pure function f that returns a color. The setting is given by f[item,position,data], where data is the dataset's first argument.
Examplesopen allclose all
Generalizations & Extensions (5)
Light blue and light red backgrounds for the first and second horizontal positions:
Light blue and light red backgrounds for the first and last horizontal positions:
Light blue and light red backgrounds for the first and second vertical positions:
Alternating light blue and light red backgrounds:
Alternating background with pink superimposed in the first and last positions:
Set the background for a subregion of the grid:
Color background by value in Dataset:
Show a table with alternating row background colors:
Highlight the maximum in each column of a Dataset:
Wolfram Research (1991), Background, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Background.html (updated 2020).
Wolfram Language. 1991. "Background." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2020. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Background.html.
Wolfram Language. (1991). Background. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Background.html